New Years resolutions are not for me, I’ve never been a fan of them. Why does January 1st have to be the start for making changes? Why do you put so much pressure on yourself on this one specific day?
If you want to lose weight, join a gym, quit smoking, or stop some sort of bad habit you should just do it. What are you waiting for? If you aren’t happy with something you should change it, it’s as simple as that.
Stop with the excuses, I’ll start next week, I’m to busy right now, blah blah blah. There is no better time than now to start becoming a better you! There is always going to be an excuse so you need to get beyond that and start putting yourself first. Here are a few changes I have made for the better!
- Find time to read books – I can’t tell you how important this is! I have learned so much about myself from reading books this past year. How do I find the time? I schedule in time to read. I read on airplanes, in the tub, on vacation by the pool, instead of surfing on my phone. I know, I know it’s hard to put that phone down thinking you might miss something! But reading has been a great way for me to unwind and relax.
- Go to the gym – I have tried every kind of workout over the years, the routine I have now works best for me. I schedule 3 visits to the gym a week and for the 4th workout I do yoga. I realized over the years of being in pain and having sore muscles all the time that I don’t need those kinds of workouts in my life. I was also tired of paying out all the money I was for chiro, physio and massages! I am satisfied with the results when I work on cardio and weights, besides I look the same as I did when I killed myself and limped out of the gym.
- Spend time with the right people – there is no better time than now to evaluate your relationships with others. If your friends constantly ask you to do things for them and do nothing for you in return, it’s time to find new friends. I know this is hard for some people, but I want to honestly tell you those people are probably holding you back from meeting even better people! Learn to say no and value your time.
- Eat healthy – whatever that might look like to you, might be different for me. There are plenty of ways to eat healthy, you just have to find what works best for you. For me I find the keto lifestyle works best. I will admit I only follow it about 80 percent of the time but I am ok with that. I still want to go to Starbucks and have a specialty drink, I still want to eat cupcakes with my kids, but I find that following a food plan holds me accountable most of the time. Also meal planning takes a lot of stress out of your eating plan!
- Travel – to all the places you want to go. For me I would much rather have an experience than another thing. Travelling is one of my favourite things to do, and we’ve been fortunate enough to be able to go to all the places we want to visit. Travel is different for everyone. For some it could mean camping on the weekends, others may enjoy jetting off to Europe. Whatever your heart desires you should do it!
- Don’t take things personally – this was a game changer for me, a weight off my shoulders! I stopped taking things personally. I now take time to assess situations before I react. There will always be someone who doesn’t like you, it’s important to understand these are projections of things they don’t like about themselves. No reaction is the best reaction.
Don’t make all of your changes at once, focus on one thing at a time until you get into a routine. It’s always important to understand that you need to do what is best for you and not follow what someone else is doing. Be authentic, be you, integrity is such an important quality to have!